Saturday, 19 March 2011

Sweet Stampin' - Slugs and Snails and Puppy Dogs' Tails

The theme over at Sweet Stampin' this week is "Slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails".  We'd love to see what you can come up with for boys and my lovely teamies have contributed some great ideas to help you get started. 

Now you all know that I struggle with male cards - I always have trouble making something for my son and his friends even though you'd think I'd be used to it by now.  Anyway, this project was no different - could I find an image...  Well, not until I had a look at the digis at Sugar Nellie, where I found this little monkey.



I coloured him with Copics and grunged up the background a bit with distress ink.  The mat is Bazzill Bling which I ran through an embossing folder and the brown dots are Pebbles Inc.  All of the papers are from Pink Petticoat - it's so handy just being able to print off what you need - and the ribbon is from my stash (possibly Doodlebug).  I love the tile sentiment - it's an old KI Memories one from a pets collection. 

The big dilemma with boys cards is what to put on as an embellie - certainly not flowers, particularly with this theme! I opted for buttons which I threaded with some orange twine before sticking to the card with decoupage glue. 

I can't say I'm entirely happy with the thing but I'll be back in my comfort zone shortly as I've got a few girlie cards to make - what a joy!

It's thick, freezing fog here this morning but we've been promised a lovely day - I just hope it warms up a bit.  I've got some serious baking to do tomorrow as we've got a 50th birthday at work and that's a great excuse to eat stuff with chocolate in it!

Enjoy your weekend, whatever you're up to and thanks for stopping by.

Hugs,

Tracey xxx

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This image is fabby hun and you so can't tell you have a problem with boys cards it is fabby!!

CraftyC said...

This is beautiful Tracey, and I agree, buttons are the easiest option. Clear blue skies here and though I should be doing the chores having a quick breather - hehe!!
Clairexx

Elise said...

Hello Tracey!!! Oh you're so good at making male cards! I have an extremely hard time making male cards .. I try my best NOT to do them! lol! And you've done it up WONDERFULLY! This is the perfect image, with the perfect colors and style!

I hope the fog is clearing up and it's getting warmer for you. :) Gosh, that sounds beautiful! I'd love to wake up one morning and see fog! sigh .. it sounds so mystical and dreamy. hehe!

Thank you so much for your constant love and well-wishes. Each day I'm doing better and getting stronger slowly. :)

Big Hugs,
Elise

Claire said...

I love this card Tracey! Great image. Hugs, Claire x

Vicky said...

Hi sweetie how can you say you struggle with male cards when this is so gorgeous I love this that much that for my DT card I nearly copied off you & nearly went & got the same image lol. The colours are gorgeous its all fabulous. I struggle with the bellies too shug cus you gotta have bellies dontcha lol.
Hope you have a fab weekend hunni.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie, this is just stunning, love everything about it, gorgeous work hugs pops x x x

Faye said...

Oh Hun, this is a wonderful card. I love the soft muted shades and fabby button. Just perfect for a boy. I have this image, must dig him out again. xxx
Sending big hugs. xxx

Mary J said...

Just brilliant Tracey! Perfect card for a boy!

Mina said...

what a perfect boys card Tracey...love it
Mina xxx