Thursday, 25 August 2011

Recycling ... An Eggsperiment

Sorry about the pun - here's a card I've made for the latest TOMIC challenge. We have to incorporate recycling into our design and that's something I don't find particularly easy.  However, as a keeper of chickens I am the recipient of egg boxes donated by almost everyone I know.  This is so kind, but often results in egg boxes taking over my kitchen.  When this challenge was announced on Monday I knew exactly what I was going to recycle although I wasn't immediately sure how.

Now I have egg boxes of various colours and at first I thought the green ones might make grass or even a football pitch, but no, I messed about with that idea and consigned my efforts to the bin.  I decided in the end to go for a plain brown egg box and spray it with Glimmer Mist.  It then occurred to me that I hadn't used many of my new Magnolia stamps from the Winner Takes It All set ... egg boxes ... space ... the moon... craters.  Don't ask me how my brain works to get the surface of the moon from an egg box but that's what I came up with!


I sprayed the egg boxes (I needed two in the end) with Glimmer Mist in both gold and coffee.  The spray actually made the egg boxes much softer and I was  able to tear and squish them into shape quite easily once they had dried.  I only used the part which holds the eggs to get the crater effect. 



I used Copics to colour my little astronaut Tilda and added glossy accents to her space helmet (apologies for the photo - the light's reflecting off the helmet).  The rocket and moon have also been coloured with Copics; the moon has had some Glamour Dust added and I put glossy accents on the window of the rocket. The paper is from my stash. 

I'm not too hopeful of my chances of auditioning for Blue Peter anytime soon, but I'm going to enter this in this week's TOMIC Recycling challenge anyway!

It was the Boy Wonder's first day at High School today and he really enjoyed it! Long may it continue.  I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time when I saw him looking lost on his way to English this morning.  He thankfully saw me pointing at the classroom door and was able to get to his class on time - just!

I've got first years tomorrow so I need to get back into the swing of shouting "Young Man!" while I learn their names!

Hugs

Tracey xx

4 comments:

Yani said...

This is sooo cool... loved this recycling idea and the "eggsperiment" title...LOL! Your coloring is fantastic too :-)

Thanks for sharing and for joining us at TOMIC!

Chrissy said...

Tracey, this is fantastic...what a wonderful creation, and great use of recycled matarial.
I'm impressed the way your brain works...love it.Top marks!!!

Luv CHRISSYxx

coops said...

fantastic card tracey.genius idea with the egg box and i love your fab space theme :D

xx coops xx

Anonymous said...

This is sooooo cool Tracey ! What a fantastic idea ! You rock Lady ! Hugs and love from Catherine