Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Christmas... already?

I like to think that I'm a reasonably organised person, but I am not one of those who manages to get all of her Christmas cards made well in advance of the season.  I am, sadly, of the variety that has very good intentions but inevitably ends up buying a number of cards to give to colleagues and more distant relatives. 

Well, here is a Christmas card.  I'm not saying I'll manage to make all of my cards this year, but at least I've made a couple and it is only August.



I went a bit bonkers with the Distress Crackle paint and then plastered the first layer of paper with white embossing powder to give everything a worn, shabby look.  I stuck some cheesecloth over the top and then cut a square from one of my favourite Magnolia Christmas papers. The problem with this, though, is that the 12"x12" square has a white distressed edge - when you cut a square from it you are left with edges that don't match.  I tried to even things up with more Crackle paint but it didn't look right.  I then used my Picket Fence Distress marker; that was a bit better but it still didn't match the other edges.  In the end I used a white gel pen and I am a bit happier with the effect.

I inked up a Tilda which I bought last year but didn't really use - I don't know why, as I think she's really cute.  She's been coloured with Copics, cut out with a Nestie and popped onto a couple of doilies.  The poinsettias and mistletoe have been cut with Doohickey dies and I've added a 15mm rose from Wild Orchid Crafts into the centre of each of the paper flowers.

Here are the challenges that I'd like to enter

Just Magnolia and hAnglar & StAnglar - Anything Goes with optional handmade flowers
Totally Papercrafts - Monochrome (red and white)
Songbird Challenges - Anything Goes

Hugs

Tracey xx

17 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hi, lovely christmas card, you have coloured Tilda beautiful and your flowers looks very nice. Thank you for playing with us at the first Songbird Challenge:)
Hugs Charlotte

Home sweet home said...

So sweet and cute,love the Tilda,hugs Merethe

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so lovely and really unique.Thank you so much for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this time and good luck.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Tracy said...

I like all the crackle paint and embossing. It looks frosty! :-) I haven't made the first Christmas card this year. Guess I'll be scrambling at the last minute. LOL Have a great day Tracey! Hugs!

Doreen said...

another fabulous card hun.
Big hugs
Doreen xx

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous,great image.xxx

Vicky said...

Hi sweetie this is so gorgeous love the image hun. I've not made any crimbo cards yet think I need to make a start lol.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Claire said...

Gorgeous card - love the monochromatic look - gorgeous colours. Hugs, Claire x

Laura Bradley said...

What a gorgeous Christmas card Tracey! I love it! Thanks for sharing with us at our first ever challenge at Songbird! Laura x

mae said...

Beautiful card! I love the red and white theme and your handmade flowers are gorgeous too! Thanks for joining us at Just Magnolia Challenge..
Hugs,
Mae

Chrissy said...

Beautiful card Tracey, love the colour..red/white so striking, gorgeous colouring on Tilda, and love the flowers and papers.

luv CHRISSYxx

Jacqui P said...

Gorgeous Tracey!! I know what you mean about the 12x12 papers! but you've matched it in beautifully! great details love the shabby look!
BTW I don't need distress paint to be bonkers!!! Lol!!
Thankyou so much for joining us on our first challenge over at songbird challenges!
hugs
Jacqui xx

cotnob said...

This is gorgeous, lovely papers and pretty embellishments.
Thank you for joining us at the first ever Songbird challenge.
Pauline
GDT

coops said...

so gorgeous tracey.stunning design and image :D

xx coops xx

Anonymous said...

Another stunning creation Sweetie ! I love the white poinsettias with the little rose in the middle, it's so sweet ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Rachel said...

Ohhh...love the colours you've used here Tracey. Gives it a real contemporary feel. Fab colouring too. Wedgie xxx

Anonymous said...

What a sweet card. I love the white and red. It's striking and simple and still perfect with the pattern and the decorations. Just so beautiful.

Love Mickaela