Saturday, 23 November 2019

Where I make mistakes... so that you don' t have to

Now here's the thing.  I adore Jennifer McGuire.  I watch her videos and she makes everything look so do-able.And not so long ago, she did something with glitter and stencils and I thought: "I can do that".

I was wrong.

I did, eventually, after  much tearing up of cardstock, scrubbing of stencils to remove glue and, I'll admit, more than a little unladylike language, come up with this.



The link to how this process is meant to go, à la Jennifer, is here.  Who wouldn't want to use up the ton of glitter that is taking up valuable new stamps space?  I had everything I needed, apart from some new stencils, so I remedied that and bought some, including this one by Pretty Pink Posh.

The idea is that you cover your paper in double sided adhesive, lay the stencil on top and pour on your glitter.  Then you remove the stencil and put another colour of glitter over the remaining adhesive.  Which is fine if you can get the ****** stencil off the paper.  Which I couldn't.

I had a dreadful time with some double sided stuff that I'd had for ages - no idea of the brand.  Couldn't remove the stencil at all without ripping it and had to soak the thing off.  As I had opted to try several stencils at the same time I ended up with a sink full of soggy cardstock and glitter.

I did slightly better with Stick It but it's a bit patchy, especially on the second layer of glitter.  I didn't want to waste my one and only moderately successful attempt so I cut the card at an angle to remove the worst bits and tried to clean up the other dodgy areas with a craft knife and a white gel pen.

I adhered the glittered cardstock to a card base and stamped a sentiment with some Gina K red ink.

I really like the red glitter on white but in the interest of my sanity will be using glimmer paste to recreate the look.

Off to lie down in a darkened room.

Tracey

4 comments:

Chris said...

Tracey what a catalogue of disasters! Have to admit your post did make me laugh as it's the kind of thing that happens to me all the time, some of these techniques look and sound so easy until you try them! At least you did get a big enough usable glittery anel to make a beautiful card! Don't think I'll be trying the technique though, I'm a disaster area with loose glitter at the best of times!
xx

mixamatoasties said...

It might have stressed you out but I LOVE that, it's so beautiful.

Sorry I've been a terrible bloggy friend xx

Tracy said...

LOL I'm picturing all that in my head kind of like a comedy routine where you end up with yourself stuck together in some weird yoga pose that's not really possible. I envy those who make techniques look so easy. Shaker cards are my nemesis. I haven't done one right yet. I think you did a great save.

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Hehehe, this is so fabulous and you know I'm off to google Jen's version now! Well done for persevering, love the finished product! Hugs, Wends xoxo